Happy National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! And, as luck would have it, today is our monthly Fill the Cookie Jar post with the theme "Back to School". Only one more week until my little darling heads off to 3rd grade and I have to suffer at home with 6 hours of blissful silence. 😉 To celebrate all of these wonderful things I have a recipe for you that I have thought about making for years: Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies Copycat.
For those of you not familiar with Fill the Cookie Jar, a group of fabulous bloggers (and me) bake a cookie based on a theme and all post on the same today. Be sure to scroll below the recipe to see what everyone else baked.
Have you ever had Famous Amos Chocolate Chip cookies? Crispy, bite sized, addicting... This is one cookie my entire family agrees on. And because they are bite sized they are great for Back to School. Slip a few in their lunch or save them for an after school treat. Or bake a batch and send them to your nephews in college...
There are three tricks to these cookies:
First, use mini chocolate chips. All I had were jumbo sized Ghirardelli chips (affiliate link) so I chopped them up so the proportion would be right for a mini cookie.
Second, to make them bite sized use a teaspoonful of dough. Yes I literally mean a heaping teaspoon. See...
Finally, to get them crispy without spreading you need to chill the dough before baking. You can get more info about it over on King Arthur Flour's blog (not a sponsor). They chill then scoop. I scooped then chilled to reduce the time needed. 10 minutes was all that I needed to achieve the cookies above.
I added pecans, which are not in the original recipe nor in the store bought cookies. But I like pecans in my chocolate chip cookies.
[click_to_tweet tweet="Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies copycat recipe. Crispy bite sized #chocolatechip #cookies." quote="Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies copycat recipe. Crispy bite sized #chocolatechip #cookies." theme="style2"]
Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies Copycat
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup shortening
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup pecans (finely chopped)
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans (if using).
- Drop by teaspoonful onto baking sheets. Literally, just a heaping teaspoonful if you want them to stay bite sized.
- Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies Copycat recipe from @thatrecipe - tiny crispy chocolate chip cookies similar to the ones in the store. bite sized cookies.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake cookies until beginning to brown on the edges, about 7 minutes.
Until next time, happy eating!
Hi Audrey, Happy Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!, and you certainly have a delicious recipe for this auspicious day. I love adding the chopped pecans.
Cindy's Recipes and Writings
I love a good chocolate chip cookie! My favorite go to cookie. (and I go there a lot! lol)
You can't beat a well made chocolate chip cookie! I genuinely never make them enough but this has inspired me to take some into work 🙂
Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
These look so good! That's a great tip about getting them crispy too - totally means I need to make a batch to try it out. 😉
Omg these sound amazing! I'm going to have a hard time not eating the batter so I can get some baked cookies lol. #HappinessisHomemade
Yum! These sound great! Cookies are my absolute favorite dessert! Thanks for sharing at #SmallVictories linkup!
I baked my third batch yesterday.....not tired of them yet.