Sour Cream Mocha Truffles are an easy and delightful treat for Christmas, Valentine's Day or Easter. Or Martin Luther King Day or Columbus Day or Wednesday for that matter. The recipe is quick and simple, but does need to set up overnight or at least 4-8 hours before shaping in to balls.
This is another recipe from my mother-in-law, the Chocoholic. I have tried it a few times and struggled because it never set up properly. After some trial and error I have found you need to hold back a two or three tablespoons of sour cream and only add it if it seems dry.
The topping is where you can be creative and tailor it to the occasion if desired. My mother-in-law usually rolls hers in chopped walnuts, but you can also use cocoa powder or crushed candy canes or even dipping in melted chocolate. The last one was a little tricky because even when set, they are still a bit soft. But, I really like how they came out with the crunchy coating and soft filling.
Sour Cream Mocha Truffles
- 12 ounce chocolate chips (1 package)
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 8 ounce sour cream
- ½ cup butter (cut into pieces)
- ½ teaspoon brandy or rum extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cup chopped nuts (or crushed candy, cocoa powder or candy melts)
- In medium saucepan, mix chocolate, coffee and ¼ cup of sour cream. Stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter a little at a time. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature. Add most of the remaining sour cream - reserving about ¼ cup.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-8 hours (or overnight) until firm. Add additional sour cream if mixture is to thick to scoop easily. Shape into balls and chill for about 20 -30 minutes.
- Roll balls in chopped nuts or other coating. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Other homemade candy recipes you may enjoy:
Until next time, happy eating.
WOW these look amazing and I am going to be adding the ingredients to my grocery list this week.
Stopping by from The SITS Girls to leave some comment love!
These look AMAZING! Have to try! These would be great for the holidays! <3 http://www.sweetanddownlow.com #SITSblogging
I've never heard of sour cream truffles, but they look delicious! I may have to make them for a party next week.
Stopping by from the SITS share fest.
wow these look and sound super yummy stopping by from The Sits Comment Love Challenge
WOW, these look amazing. I want one now. I'm always amazed at how easy truffles are to make, yet they are still SO impressive. Always a crowd pleaser! Stopping by from SITS