Give the gift of chocolate with these crunchy (and chewy) Chocolate Caramel Cookies made from a cake mix in a jar.
Find out more about Choctoberfest
Choctoberfest is a two week celebration of all things chocolate organized by Allison at PinterTest Kitchen. We have almost 70 bloggers posting recipes made with chocolate: everything from drinks to main courses to desserts. Plus we have a $350 prize package we are raffling off this Friday. So hop over to this post for 20 of my favorite chocolate recipes plus all of the details on the other bloggers and to enter the giveaway.
Now about these cookies
This recipe uses the Cake Mix in a Jar I posted the other day. I am including the mix recipe below the cookie recipe to make things easier for you. If you want to give this recipe along with the jar instead of (or in addition to) the cake mix recipe you can get a printable version of the instructions here.
Otherwise it is your basic cake mix cookie recipe with a little caramel surprise tucked inside. If you don’t want the caramels you can leave them out and roll the balls in powdered sugar before baking. Or leave them plain.These Chocolate Caramel Cookies in a Jar make a wonderful gift for families and friends.Click To Tweet
Gifts in a Jar: Chocolate Caramel Cookies, two different chocolate cookie recipes from a jar of homemade cake mix. Cookie Mix in a Jar.
- 1 jar cookie mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup millk
- 18 pieces square soft caramel candies cut in half
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine mix, eggs, oil and milk until it forms a soft dough. Roll into 36 balls (about 1 tablespoon of dough each).
- Insert caramel into center of the ball and flatten. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove parchment paper with cookies still on it from baking sheet to a cooling rack.
The jar of cookie mix referred to in the recipe is our homemade Chocolate Cake Mix in a Jar. To prepare the jar, layer the ingredients in order in a 1 quart mason jar and attach the baking instructions (printable version here)
- 2 cups sugar 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Variation: instead of using caramel, roll balls in powdered sugar before baking.
And here are some of the recipes from the other Choctoberfest Bloggers:
Until next time, happy eating.