Instant Pot French Onion Chicken makes an easy flavorful meal ready in about 30 minutes. Serve it with rice, potatoes or some hearty rolls and a salad for a complete meal.
I love French Onion Soup. The beefy broth and caramelized onions and that oooey gooey cheese. YUM!
This recipe takes those dreamy flavors and combines it with chicken instead of the bread and makes it quickly in the pressure cooker.
I have two pressure cookers: a stove top version and an Instant Pot. I use both of them often and for a meal like this I would use them both at the same time, one for the rice and one for the chicken.
Ingredients for French Onion Chicken
Chicken - I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can use thighs if you prefer.
Onions - yellow onions are the best to use for caramelizing, though you could go with white or sweet if that's what you have.
Beef Broth - chicken broth would be okay, but beef broth is traditional.
Red Wine - the alcohol in the wine will not cook off much, it will steam up to the lid and back into the dish. You can omit the wine and add more broth and a bit more Balsamic vinegar for the tang.
Provolone or Gruyere cheese - or you could use another melting cheese like mozzarella or Swiss or a combination of cheeses.
Other ingredients: butter, olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce (optional).
More Chicken Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Chicken is a versatile protein that can be adapted to almost any cuisine. Here are some delicious chicken recipes to enjoy with your family:
Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Adobo Chicken Wings from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Air Fryer Chicken Patties from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Chicken an Bulgar Pilaf from Pandemonium Noshery
- Chicken Stir Fry Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Easy Baked Bruschetta Chicken from Blogghetti
- Easy Chicken Stroganoff from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- French Onion Chicken in the Pressure Cooker from That Recipe
- Honey BBQ Chicken Legs from Jen Around the World
- Organic Chicken Bone Broth from Art of Natural Living
- Southern Fried Chicken from Palatable Pastime
French Onion Chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pounds yellow onions (sliced root to tip)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1¼ cups beef broth (preferably organic)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded ½” thick
- 6-8 Provolone or gruyere cheese slices
- Heat pressure cooker on the stove to medium (or use sauté function) Add butter and olive oil and stir until butter is melted.
- Add onions and sprinkle with the garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and develop some color, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and red wine, scraping the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits. Reduce the liquid by one half, stir in the Worcestershire sauce, if using, and beef broth.
- Add the chicken to the pressure cooker. Add bay leaves and fresh thyme sprigs.
- Lock the lid in place and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Discard the bay leaves and thyme stems.
- Place the mild Provolone slices on top of the chicken breasts and cover the unit with the lid for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Pressure Cooker Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!