Simple Grilled Asparagus is a quick and flavorful side dish enhanced by the addition of a simple, yet tasty, Italian gremolata
Young thin asparagus is wonderfully tender in early spring. Sometimes later in the season and with thicker asparagus spears the ends become tough. Lightly peel the tough ends, if any, for this recipe.
You do not have to use skewers for this if you don’t have them or want to use them. You can cover the grill with foil (may lose some flavor) or a grilling tray like this to keep them from sliding between grates.
For the gremolata this recipe adds some preserved lemon for extra lemony taste. It takes a few days to preserve lemons, but it is so easy to do, and I have a few recipes on the blog that make use of them.
Fresh Spring Sides #OurFamilyTable
Make use of seasonal spring produce to make these marvelous Spring Side Dishes to complement your nightly dinner or special holiday.
Grilled Asparagus with Fresh Gremolata
- 1 pound fresh asparagus trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest grated
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 whole lemons cut in half
- Shaved Parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
- ¼ cups fresh parsley leaves washed, dried thoroughly, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons preserved lemon rind rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic grated
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place asparagus in a wide, shallow bowl and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add sea salt, garlic, oregano and lemon zest. Add black pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Place 6 or 8 inch bamboo skewers in a glass off warm water to soak.
- Combine gremolata ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- Spray grill grates with non-stick cooking spray and preheat grill to medium-high.
- Use the presoaked bamboo skewers to pierce asparagus pieces on batches of 4-5 a few inches apart in the middle to make it easier to flip and prevent from slipping between the grates.
- Place asparagus and lemon halves over direct heat and grill for 3-4 minutes per side, or until they are crisp tender.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Top with gremolata and serve immediately with grilled lemons for squeezing and shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired.