Do you love Chinese take out as much as I do? One of my favorite dishes to order is Mongolian Beef. Did you know it was ridiculously easy to make at home?
Start your rice cooking, then get started on this delicious stir fry and both should finish at the same time, in under 30 minutes!
I usually sauté some vegetables to go along side. Or you can toss them in with the beef, or make a salad (this Sesame Celery Salad is a good choice)
The recipe is mild but flavorful. If you want to up the heat a bit add some red pepper flakes, or maybe some crushed Szechuan pepper.
- 1 pound flank steak
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cups brown sugar
- 3 scallions (green parts only, cut in 1 inch pieces)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Slice steak against the grain in 1/4 inch thin strips then 1-2 inches long. Coat with cornstarch and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a small saucepot over medium-low heat and add the ginger and garlic. Sauté about 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, water and brown sugar. Increase the heat to medium. Bring the sauce to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add 1/2 cup oil to a wok or large skillet (preferably cast iron) and turn heat to medium high. Once oil is hot add beef and cook until seared (dark brown) on all sides – about 2 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain. Pour off any excess oil.
- Add beef and sauce back to the wok and bring to a boil, stirring gently, for 2 minutes. Mix in scallion tops. Serve with rice or noodles. Top with sesame seeds if desired.
More Weeknight Fast Recipes
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.