Glücklich Oktoberfest! The festivities in Bavaria are wrapping up this weekend, so I figured it was the perfect time to post one of our favorite recipes: Hot German Potato Salad.
I absolutely love the warm potatoes and bacon in the sweet and tangy sauce. It goes great with just about anything from chicken to pork chops to steak. But, the best way (in my humble opinion) is to have it with nice juicy bratwursts. Oh YUM!
This is one of those recipes that we have made so many times the cookbook practically opens itself to the page. The cookbook is probably one of the humblest you can imagine. It came with the microwave my parents bought way back in the late 70’s. It isn’t a flimsy little pamphlet that comes with most appliances these days. This is a full blown hard back book about cooking all kinds of food from roasts to cakes and candies in a microwave.
As far as this recipe is concerned, the only caution is not to overbake the potatoes. You want them just starting to get soft. They will continue to bake while you prepare the sauce, and still be firm enough to mix into the sauce right before serving.
The recipe is so easy to make. The step that takes the longest is baking the potato. If you microwave them, this is ready in under 30 minutes. Oven baking is going to add another 30 minutes to that. Or you can throw a few extra potatoes in the oven the next time you bake potatoes and pull some out a little early then save them in the fridge a few days to make this.
Hot German Potato Salad recipe with bacon, celery seeds and vinegar with a touch of sugar for a sweet and sour savory side dish.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 6 pieces bacon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Wash potatoes and pierce with a fork.
- Microwave for ten minutes turning after four minutes. Cool slightly, peel and cut into 1/ 4 inch slices.
- Or bake in oven for 45 -60 minutes, until just tender (slightly underbake)
- Cut the bacon into small pieces
- Put in a 2 quart casserole dish. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for six minutes, stirring after three minutes.
- Or cook in 2 quart pot on the stove until crisp.
- Remove bacon from the grease and set aside on paper towels. Stir flour, sugar and seasonings into bacon fat until smooth .
- Microwave two minutes until bubbly. Add water and vinegar to flour mixture. Microwave on high until mixture boils and thickens.
- Cook mixture for two minutes over medium heat. Add water and vinegar stirring until completely smooth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for one minute until thick.
- Add potatoes and bacon. Stir gently so potatoes hold shape.
Until next time, happy eating.