Huevos Rancheros is a delightful breakfast that is dramatic enough for a special breakfast or brunch yet simple enough for any morning or breakfast for dinner.
My parents weren’t big breakfast eaters. But brunch or breakfast for dinner was another matter. My dad made the best omelets! Occasionally we would have huevos rancheros.
They may sound exotic if you have never had them, but they are nothing more that sunny side up eggs with tortillas, salsa and other goodies.
Since we have different taste preferences in my house, I serve all of the toppings on the side and we each add our own.
Breakfast for Dinner #OurDinnerTable
- Asparagus Bacon and Gouda Quiche by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Breakfast Stir-Fry by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cheesy Bacon Breakfast Burrito by Making Miracles
- Corned Beef Hash by Palatable Pastime
- Hearty Irish Breakfast Bowl by Our Good Life
- Huevos Rancheros by That Recipe
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tater Tot Waffles with the Works by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Huevos Rancheros is a simple and flavorful Mexican breakfast of eggs, tortillas, salsa and other deliciousness. Perfect for brunch or dinner.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- chipotle powder to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 1 large avocado sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 4 ounces Monterey-Jack cheese shredded
- 1 can refried beans
- fresh salsa
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a corn tortilla to the skillet and fry until the tortillas begin to crisp around the edges, about 15-20 seconds a side. Transfer to a plate and blot off excess oil with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium-low and fry the eggs sunny-side up in the leftover oil, just until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
To serve place a tortilla on a plate, top with egg, season to taste with chipotle and sea salt. Serve other ingredients on the side to allow diners to choose their own.