Mezetti Casserole (aka Johnny Marzetti Casserole or just Marzetti Casserole) makes an inexpensive hearty one pot meal.
Growing up this dish was called Mezetti in my house. Curious about the SEO possibilities of such a recipe name, I googled it and found that somehow the name had been changed from Johnny Marzetti Casserole somewhere along the line before getting to my family.
The original was a cheap but filling dish created at an Italian restaurant near Ohio State University to serve college students on a budget. Get the full backstory and the original Johnny Marzetti Casserole recipe at The Sun Sentinel.
Mom (and probably Grandma Ruth before her) always made it with fine egg noodles, but any kind of pasta will do, including the angel hair pasta pictured above.
Mezetti: First Night Camping Meal
Mezetti was usually our dinner on the first night of a camping trip.
All you need to do is cook the ground beef, vegetables and spices at home, then store in a zip to lock bag. Mix with the remaining ingredients in a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet covered with foil and put it over the fire while you are setting up camp.
Be sure to peek at it a few times to make sure it has enough water and give it a stir. Easy peasy!
More Campout Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
We are going on a virtual campout this week with plenty of delicious recipes you can make even if you are just camping in your own living room.
- Campfire Mezetti from That Recipe
- Campfire S’mores Banana Boats from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Campfire Style Organic Homemade Marshmallows from Art of Natural Living
- Cheeseburger Hobo Dinner Packets from Blogghetti
Mezetti – Beef and Noodle Skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup green bell pepper (diced)
- ½ cup onion (diced)
- 1-2 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms and stems with liquid
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 ounces fine egg noodles (or 1/2 pack angel hair pasta broken in about 2)
- 1 cup Cheddar or Mozzarella (grated)
- Brown meat with bell pepper, onion and garlic in large heavy skillet.
- Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, water, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle egg noodles evenly over top.
- Cover skillet; bring liquid to steaming (not quite boiling). Turn heat to low and cook for 25 minutes until noodles are soft.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over top of noodles and cook uncovered another 5 minutes to melt cheese.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More One Pot Meals
Until next time, happy eating!