Creamy Polenta with Parmesan and Mushrooms is a quick and simple Italian side dish that complements many main courses.
In Northern Italy, polenta is more commonly served than pasta. At least it was for my family. My grandfather had it growing up there as a child and he frequently made it for his family growing up. Basically it is a thick ground cornmeal, similar in texture to grits. It is delicious, versatile and easy to make. IF you know the one trick.
Always whisk the dry polenta gradually into the boiling water. If you dump it, the second it hits the water it is going to clump and you will end up with a lumpy mess. Learn from my mistakes. Just sprinkle it on top with one hand while you stir with the other and you'll be fine.
I served this with the One Pan Chicken and Tomatoes, but it would also be delicious with a nice steak or some fish as well.
Creamy Polenta with Parmesan and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounce fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked polenta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute mushrooms until soft, 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add the water to the pan and bring to a boil. Sprinkle the polenta over the top and stir in immediately. Do not dump it in, it will clump and you will be sad.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until polenta is thick, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in butter, Parmesan cheese and mushrooms. Serve.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.