Pork and Shrimp Pad Thai is a virtual symphony flavors in an easy to prepare noodle stir fry.
I love noodles! Whether it is Spaghetti, Pancit, Pho, Ramen, Chow Mein, or this Pad Thai, if it has noodles I am probably going to love it.
Each culture has a variation with their own regional twists on ingredients and preparation methods. So I could have noodles every day of the week and it would be different every time.
About the Ingredients
Living in California our grocery stores usually have a well stocked aisle of Asian delights, and if I need something a little harder to find there are Asian markets of all kinds within a few miles. Depending on where you live, online may be the only place to source a few of the ingredients.
Rice noodles look like vermicelli or linguine but are made of rice (yeah gluten free!). If you can’t find the rice noodles, you could swap traditional linguine and cook it before preparing this dish.
There are plenty of brands of Sweet Chili Sauce to choose from. American chili sauce is not the same! If you need a substitute you can make your own with this recipe.
Fish Sauce is a must! I hide mine in the back of the refrigerator with the label facing away so my husband and son do not know it exists. It adds a wonderful umami flavor to marinades and sauces which they love but wouldn’t eat if they knew what it was.
Final tip: Be sure to have all of the ingredients ready to go once you start cooking since you will not have time to chop between stages. The cooking process is fast with ingredients being added to the pan every minute or two.
More Asian Inspired Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
We are sharing some of our favorite Asian inspired recipes this week:
- Asian Chicken Slaw Salad by Making Miracles
- Asian Inspired Broccoli Slaw by Art of Natural Living
- Potsticker Sloppy Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pan-Fried Cabbage and Noodle Buns by Magical Ingredients
- Pork and Shrimp Pad Thai by That Recipe
- Pork Bulgogi Lettuce Wraps by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Szechuan Green Beans and Ground Pork by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Pork and Shrimp Pad Thai
- 8 ounces dried flat rice noodles (linguine)
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Asian sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium jalapeno seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ pound pork sliced into thin strips
- ¼ pound small or medium raw shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1½ cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into 8 wedges
- Soak the rice noodles in warm water until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and jalapeno, cook about 10 seconds stirring constantly. Add pork and cook for about two minutes. Stir and add the shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes until barely pink.
- Stir in sauce and cook for another minute. Add drained noodles and stir to coat them.
- Push noodles to the outside of the pan leaving a well in the center. Add the eggs and stir them until cooked. Then mix eggs into the noodles.
- Place noodles on serving plate and top with bean sprouts onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze on top.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Asian Noodle Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!