This quick and easy Spicy Refried Beans recipe is perfect for busy weeknight meals or whenever you want a healthy, meatless side dish for your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex entrees.
With Lent quickly approaching, I see plenty of bean and cheese burritos coming up for Friday dinners. These refried beans are a delicious way to spice those up. Or serve along side any of your favorite Mexican dishes.
Refried beans traditionally use pinto beans, but this recipe adds some kidney beans for additional flavor and texture.
Spicy Refried Beans
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans 16 ounce pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can 15 ounce red kidney beans with liquid
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add beans, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and start to break apart slightly, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree beans with an immersion blender or a potato masher until almost smooth.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.