The first week of November marks National Fig Week so I thought it was about time to update and share my Great Grandmother's No Fail Strawberry Fig Jam.
How can I claim this jam is no fail? There is a secret ingredient... gelatin!
I heard my fellow traditional jam and jelly makers gasp in horror. Yes, it is a "cheater jam". But, it is quite delicious and no one has to know you didn't fuss and bother to get the right combination of ingredients and temperature to find the perfect jelling point.
Strawberry Fig Jam
- 7 cups figs
- 7 cups sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 packages 3 ounce size strawberry flavored gelatin
- Cut stems off figs and grind them up.
- Put figs, sugar and lemon juice in medium size sauce pan and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add gelatin and stir together.
- Put jam in sterilized half pint jars and seal in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.