When I was typing up the Meatless Main Course suggestions a few weeks ago, I suddenly remembered one of my favorites from years ago. Eons ago, Amway used to offer an incredible meatless taco mix that only needed water added, in addition to your favorite taco toppings. TVP and the spice cabinet to the rescue.
What is TVP? Texturized Vegetable Protein. A soy product that is high in protein without any fat. Oops, I forgot fat is okay to eat again. Gluten and Sugar are the bad guys now. Well, Luckily TVP is Gluten Free and Sugar Free (as well as sugar substitute free!). But this is a processed food so those on a Raw or Paleo diet will want to avoid it. I have no such limitations, just looking for a tasty Lenten meal. To each his own.
I actually had some on hand from an experiment I tried awhile ago. It is pretty easy to find in the grocery store with the other Bob’s Red Mill products, and is available in many health or bulk food stores as well.
Once you add the spices to it, the taste and texture are pretty darn close to ground beef tacos. Serve with your favorite taco toppings and you have a quick meatless weeknight meal.
- 1 1/2 cup Texturized Vegetable Protein
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water or stock
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, add boiling water to TVP, stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes until rehydrated.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions until translucent.
- Combine all spices in a small bowl.
- Add TVP to the skillet with the spices, and tomato sauce. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes until desired consistency.
- Serve with tortillas or taco shells and your favorite taco toppings.
Until next time, happy eating.