Here is a deliciously healthy dip/spread for you to enjoy at your summer BBQs or anytime really: Caramelized Sweet Onion Spread.
It is nothing more than caramelized onions with a little fruit and thyme added in, but you don't need to tell anyone it is that easy. Usually I make it with dried apricots, which I didn't have this week. But I did have a few strawberries that needed to be used STAT. It gave it a nice pink hue instead of golden brown, but was equally delicious.
This is rather thick when completed, so serve it with something that can hold up to it. Make your own baked pita chips by cutting some pita bread into strips, brushing with oil and baking until crispy. It also makes a tasty treat added to a cheese plate.
Caramelized Sweet Onion Spread (or Dip)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 Vidalia or other sweet onions (thinly sliced)
- 6 dried apricots (thinly sliced)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onions and saute about 5 minutes until onions begin to turn golden.
- Reduce heat and add apricots and thyme. Cover and cook until onions and apricots are very soft and mixture is golden brown, another 5-10 minutes.
- Pulse in a food processor or blender for a few minutes until spread is smooth, but still chunky.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool, serve at room temperature with crackers, pita chips, etc.
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Danielle from Creatively Homespun (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Dina from Savvy in the Kitchen**
**Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas (Blog)**
- If you would like to be a co-host for this party, please email Tammy at [email protected] You would post this party every Tuesday at 7 am Central Time and include an original recipe, a round-up of recipes, or your favorite features from this party along with the link-up. We also may need your help pinning up to 25 recipes to our party board every week.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating
Lou Lou Girls
Hello beautiful! Thank you for hosting. Please take a moment to stop by our party that goes until Friday at 7 pm. We pin and tweet everything! Have a beautiful day! Lou Lou Girls
Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe at the #RecipeSharingParty! I hope to see you next week. Pinned and Yummed. Please visit #OverTheMoon on Sunday or #ThursdayFavoriteThings for more sharing fun! Don't forget to Comment your link #'s so I can be sure to visit and you get a chance to be featured!
Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table
Love the idea of adding this to a cheese plate - definitely makes it more classy! And it's so easy - will have to try soon 🙂
I love a good cheese plate.