Cherry Almond Coffee Cake is a simple but special coffee cake with slightly tangy cake studded with dried cherries and almonds.
I love cherries and I love almonds. And I love cherries and almonds together. Maybe it is because they are from the same genus (Prunus) that they seem made for each other.
Ingredients for Cherry Almond Coffee Cake
The recipe starts with baking basics:
- sugar (granulated and powdered)
- baking powder, soda and salt
- vanilla and almond extracts (or one of the two)
For tang I went with plain Greek yogurt instead of the traditional sour cream because I almost always have it on hand.
Sliced almonds work best for this recipe instead of whole or chopped.
This cake uses dried cherries so it can be enjoyed year round. If the cherries do not feel plump and moist, soak them in a little warm water to plump back up before adding to the recipe. It makes all the difference to this cake.
More Coffee Cake Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Here are plenty of coffee cake recipes for your breakfast, brunch, tea time or dessert.
Bake Up a Coffee Cake
- Cherry Almond Brunch Cake by That Recipe
- Cherry Coffee Cake by Art of Natural Living
- Coffee Cake Loaf by Making Miracles
- Cream Cheese Swirl Whole Wheat Carrot Coffee Cake by Magical Ingredients
- Crumb Buns by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Poppy Seed Coffee Cake by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Lemon Zucchini Coffee Cake by Sweet Beginnings
- Strawberry-Banana Buckle by Palatable Pastime
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup dried cherries (roughly chopped )
Icing and Decoration
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 4-5 tablespoons milk
- 8-10 dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and lemony colored, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg and extracts. Add milk and yogurt and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in cherries and pour batter into the prepared springform pan.
- Back at 350°F until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set on a cooling rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, place almonds in a skillet and heat over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes until the nuts begin to toast. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Slide a knife around the edges of the cake, then release the springform pan to prevent the cake from sticking to the sides.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, almond extract and enough milk to make a slightly runny glaze. Spread the glaze over the cake allowing the it to drip down the sides.
- Decorate the top with toasted almonds and extra dried cherries. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Coffee Cake Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!