Cherry Almond Sugar Cookie Bars are a bright an easy treat for Breast Cancer Awareness month. Or Valentine's Day. Or just because cherry and almond are awesome together.
This is one of my favorite sugar cookie recipes. I use it often to make holiday cut out cookies. The almond extract and cream of tartar makes them extra flavorful.
And to make these cookie bars extra special I opted to pair it with a simple cherry glaze made with maraschino cherry juice. Or am I the only one that has a jar of juice left after enjoying the cherries?
Variation: Cut Out Cookies
As I said above, this is my holiday cut out cookie recipe.
Instead of going to the effort to roll out and cut the dough into fancy shapes, I spread the dough into a pan and baked them all at once to make my life easier.
Just chill the dough for an hour before rolling and cutting, then bake until lightly brown, about 7-8 minutes.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month Cookies
I made these cookies in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October.
I won't list the number of women I know personally that have battled (are battling) Breast Cancer for fear I would inadvertently leave someone out. There are that many. And that doesn't include those I met while volunteering for Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
You can belittle the pink ribbons on anything and everything all you want, but the money it has raised for research, education, screening and survivor assistance has made a significant, direct impact on many people's lives.
They'd make a nice gift for your favorite breast cancer survivor or for a bake sale to raise money for your favorite breast cancer charity.
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1-2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Mix until smooth.
- Spread dough in a thin even layer in a 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake until just beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool
- Combine powdered sugar and cherry juice. Thin to spreading consistency with milk.
- Frost cookies, add sprinkles, cut into bars
More Pink Cookie Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!