This flavorful Chicken Curry dish comes together in about 20 minutes making it perfect for busy weeknights. It is also an excellent way to reinvent leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
If you use leftover chicken, you can have this on the table in about 10 minutes. The rice will take longer to cook.
Even if you have to cook up the chicken it will still take under 20 minutes.
Gotta love easy and loaded with flavor meals, especially when the dinner can customize the recipe to their taste.
Condiments to Serve with Chicken Curry
My favorite part of this dish growing up was the condiments. Mom would serve it with 5-6 different toppings and we could each add our own. I usually added lots of everything just because I could.
You can enjoy this dish plain or serve it with extras such as:
- chopped salted peanuts
- chopped hard-boiled egg
- bacon bits
- chopped sweet or sour pickles
- sweetened flaked coconut
- chopped green onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
Want more 30 minute dinner ideas? Check this out.
Variation: Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Curry Recipe
This is a great way to repurpose Thanksgiving leftovers into a delightful new meal. As a matter of fact, this is the way I had it most often growing up.
Or you can grab a rotisserie chicken from the market and remove the meat from the bone.
Just slice the cooked turkey or chicken into strips and skip step one below.
You could also use shrimp or tofu for a vegetarian curry recipe.
- 1 pound chicken breast (cut into thin slices)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon curry (more or less to taste)
- 1 ½ tablespoon flour (all purpose or gluten free)
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon sugar
- dash ground ginger
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 4-6 cups steamed rice for serving
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until almost all pink is gone. Remove from pan.
- Melt butter in the skillet. Add onion and curry powder and sauté. Blend in flour and other seasonings. Cook until all is smooth.
- Add broth and milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken and lemon juice and cook until chicken is heated.
- Serve over rice with choice of condiments suggested in notes. Let each person choose condiments and sprinkle over curry as desired.