Do you have a budding young cook to shop for? No EZ Bake Oven or pretend food on this list. For the most part, I have always let my son use regular cooking tools with proper supervision. But, there are some things that make cooking more fun and a bit safer.
The links below are affiliate links and I may receive a commission for purchases made through them at no cost to you.
There are plenty of choices in this category. Here are some of our favorites.
Sesame Street B is for Baking and C is for Cooking by Susan McQuillan. Delicous healthy recipes with oodles of your favorite Sesame Street characters on every page.
Cook School by Amanda Grant has a progression of skills and recipes broken down for 3-5 year olds, 5-7 year olds and 7-11 year olds.
Elementary Age and beyond:
Emeril’s There’s a Chef in My Soup by Emeril Lagasse. Kids love Emeril. Or maybe it was just mine that was transfixed by reruns of Emeril Live! Larger than life, funny, jazzy music. Screaming BAM! Along with the TV. Lots of great recipes
Pretend Soup and Honest Pretzels by Mollie Katzen. Both books have beautifully illustrated step by step recipes.
The Young Chef by The Culinary Institute of America is recommended for ages 10-14. It goes a bit beyond just teaching about cooking techniques and provides sidebar information about ingredients and food history.
Twist it Up by Jack Witherspoon. Written by an 11 year old that was inspired to learn to cook while undergoing treatment for Leukemia. We love the Norwegian Pancakes and of course the Chocolate Cake.
The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz. Lots of British treats (Treacle Tarts, anyone?) and magical recipes for the Harry Potter fan.
It's important to look the part
We have this apron in blue (also comes in pink) $19.99
But, it may be time to move up to a chef coat. This one is available in white or black ($15-24):
A few of our favorite tools
We got this when my son was little. It is great for small jobs and it's a good motor control exercise for preschoolers. OXO Good Grips Egg Beater ($19.95)
Cupcakes and muffins are more fun when you make them in creative shapes like these fun cupcake molds ($5.99)
We have a few sets of these Tovolo ice pop molds in different shapes. After they freeze we take them off the base and slide them into a zip to lock bag to save space. ($10-13)
Speaking of Tovolo, this pancake pen makes filling pancake molds so easy ($10).
Mickey pancake/egg mold ($12.95)
Smiley silicone egg and pancake mold ($4.99)
My kid managed to cut himself with a plastic knife on Apple Day in Kindergarten. Perhaps he needs a pair of these NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves ($10.99)
Peeling can be a fun task or a chore depending on the tool. Hint, skip the cheap $2 ones. This set from OXO gives you 3 peeling options ($14.99).
[clickToTweet tweet="Fun and practical gifts for young chefs under $25 #gifts #children #cooking" quote="Fun and practical gifts for young chefs under $25" theme="style2"]
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Gina from Moneywise Moms (Blog)**
**Amanda from The Mommy Mix (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Thank you for hosting this opportunity to bring bloggers together and share their posts. I look forward to your party each week. #OverTheMoon #WWBlogHop #ThursdayFavoriteThings