The inspiration for these Cranberry Brie Appetizers came a few years back when we forgot to put the cranberry sauce on the table with the main course at Thanksgiving.
It wasn't until the cheese course, which we always have with dessert in typical French fashion, that anyone noticed. Before long several of us were adding it to the top of our brie. Delicious!
For this recipe I made a simple cranberry sauce with cranberries, sugar and orange juice instead of the usual water and added some gingerbread spices.
If you want it spicy hot instead, you can add one half to one whole finely dice jalapeno or Anaheim chile pepper (seeds and membranes removed) in lieu of the gingerbread spices.
Don't want to go to the effort to make the cranberry sauce? Don't. Use canned sauce instead. I won't judge.
Serve Cranberry Brie Bites Hot or Cold
To serve it you could just put the brie on a plate, top with the cranberry sauce and add some bread and a knife and let people help themselves.
Or if you want a hot appetizer, smear the brie on the bread, broil for a minute or two then top with a little sauce ...
You can smear the bread with the brie and keep it in the fridge until your party starts. Then just pop them in the broiler and top with the cranberry sauce.
Easy and elegant appetizer for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years Eve festivities.
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅙ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅙ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces brie
- 1 baguette or several French bread rolls (thinly sliced)
- Combine cranberries, juice, sugar and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes until berries are popped and sauce begins to thicken. Refrigerate to cool.
- To serve hot: Smear a small amount of brie on each slice of bread. Broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese melts. Top with a spoonful of cranberry sauce and serve.
- To serve cold: place brie on a large plate, top with sauce and place bread slices on the side.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!