This Hominy Tortilla recipe adds some canned hominy to a simple corn tortilla recipe to make tortillas that taste like they were made from fresh corn. And they are easy to make once you learn one simple trick.
I almost threw out the Hominy Tortilla dough in frustration because it kept sticking to the plastic wrap or waxed paper when I was shaping the tortillas. I tried rolling. I tried use the tortilla press. Stick Stick Stick!
And then I used some non stick spray on the plastic wrap. Why didn't I think of it sooner!? All it took was a quick spray every time and they came off easily.
If you have someone else to help you the cooking process goes a bit faster because one can press the tortillas while the other is cooking them.
If you prefer flour tortillas, here's our easy recipe for those.
- 1 ½ cup canned hominy (most of a 29-ounce can (drained))
- 1 ½ cup masa harina
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot top water
- non stick spray
- Puree the hominy in a blender or food processor. Put in large bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix until the dough forms a soft ball. Divide into 16 balls.
- Heat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spray two pieces of plastic wrap with non-stick spray.
- Put dough balls one at a time between two pieces of plastic wrap and either roll with rolling pin or press with tortilla press into a 6- to 7- inch circle approximately 1/16- to ⅛- inch thick. Peel off plastic and transfer to griddle.
- Cook for 30 seconds then flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Then flip back to the first side and cook for another 30 seconds until the tortilla puffs slightly.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Lisa from Blogghetti (Blog)**
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
This week I am sharing an Avocado Breakfast Bake, a Sausage and Hash Brown Cheddar Casserole and finally a Turkey Ham and Cheese Strata. Thanks for hosting. Have a lovely evening!