Red Velvet Pancakes are a delicious chocolate pancake naturally tinted pink thanks to the addition of pureed beets. Perfect for Valentine's Day breakfast or anytime you want a fun chocolatey treat.
Yes, I am one of those moms that hide vegetables in recipes. Well, to be accurate I don't actually hide them. My son knows full well there are beets in his pancakes. But, he will be the first to admit it's one of the only way he can eat vegetables without gagging.
In red velvet recipes using food coloring you need so much red food coloring to tint the batter I immediately notice the taste. But, I never notice the taste of the beets when I use it in this recipe or the Pink Pancakes (similar recipe without the chocolate).
Ingredients for Red Velvet Pancakes
The ingredients for these pancakes are pretty basic, but here are a few notes to help you out:
baking mix: I use my homemade baking mix, but you can use a store bought brand or a gluten free mix that has leavener in it. Or use a cup of flour with 2 teaspoons of baking powder and a tablespoon or two of melted butter, coconut oil or vegetable oil.
pureed beets: roast or boil fresh beets or use drained canned beets. Put them in the blender or food processor with a little water (or the juice from the can) and pulse until smooth.
plain or vanilla flavored yogurt: this will give it the characteristic tang red velvet is known for. Greek yogurt has some of the liquid strained out so you may need a bit more milk if the batter seems thick.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Brownie Mix Cookies from Kathryn's Kitchen Blog
- Brownie Muffins from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Chocolate Caramels from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate Meringue Pie from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate-Covered Brownie Hearts from The Redhead Baker
- Easy Black Forest Bundt Cake from Blogghetti
- Easy Chocolate Mousse from Devour Dinner
- Easy Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Fudge from The Spiffy Cookie
- Easy White Chocolate Cranberry Coconut Bars from Family Around the Table
- Homemade Chocolate Syrup from Art of Natural Living
- Hot Chocolate Fudge from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Ice Cream Cake Roll from An Affair from the Heart
- Icebox Mocha Cake from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Orange Curd Brownies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pork Tenderloin with Chocolate Molasses Gravy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red Velvet Pancakes from That Recipe
- Starbucks White Hot Chocolate from The Fresh Cooky
- Valentine Treat Board from Magical Ingredients
- White Chocolate Blondies from Shockingly Delicious
Red Velvet Pancakes
- 1 cup reduced fat baking mix
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup cooked beets (pureed)
- ½ cup plain or vanilla flavored yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Cook on a medium-hot griddle until brown on both sides.
- Serve with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, fresh berries, etc.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Beet Dyed Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!
Beets! I love that there's beets in these pancakes. They look so good and such a great way to sneak some veg in there.