This is a sponsored post. I have received products and/or other compensation from Barleans in exchange for this post. The recipe and opinions are mine. For our full disclosure statement click here.
Choctoberfest continues today with a fourth recipe that can be made with our Gifts in a Jar: Chocolate Cake Mix. Today's recipe is a Healthy Red Velvet Bundt Cake.
Find out more about Choctoberfest
Choctoberfest is a two week celebration of all things chocolate organized by Allison at PinterTest Kitchen. We have almost 70 bloggers posting recipes made with chocolate: everything from drinks to main courses to desserts. Plus we have a $350 prize package we are raffling off this Friday. So hop over to this post for 20 of my favorite chocolate recipes plus all of the details on the other bloggers and to enter the giveaway.
Barlean's Pathway to a Better Life
Barlean's makes a host of healthy products from coconut oil to powdered greens. And they donate a portion of their products to helping those less fortunate through a variety of charities. So not only do you help yourself be healthier, you help others too.
As Barlean's owner, Bruce Barlean says:
At Barlean's we make good stuff to do good stuff.
I love a company with a social conscience!
The Bundt Cake
This recipe uses the Cake Mix in a Jar I posted the other day but I made it healthier with Barlean's Green's Powder Chocolate Silk, Butter Flavored Coconut Oil and beet puree. NO FOOD COLORING! I also reduced the sugar by using a stevia baking blend.
If you want to give this as a gift you can get a printable version of the instructions here to attach to the jar.
[click_to_tweet tweet="A healthier version of Red Velvet Cake that you can give as a gift #redvelvetcake #nofoodcoloring #giftsinajar" quote="A healthier version of Red Velvet Cake that you can give as a gift " theme="style2"]
Red Velvet Bundt Cake
- 1 jar homemade chocolate cake mix (see note)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cups beet puree
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (approximately)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ingredients of the jar. Add remaining ingredients; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack.
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar, thin with milk to desired consistency. Invert cake on to serving plate. Top with glaze
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cups cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
And here are some of the recipes from the other Choctoberfest Bloggers:
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
Audrey, now here's a red velvet cake I could enjoy eating! I cannot bring myself to eat cake with a whole bottle of red food coloring in it, but I would love a cake with beet puree.