Spicy Garlic Hummus will kick up your meals and snacks. It is easy to make and healthy too!
I needed some aquafaba for the Vegan Chocolate Torte posted on Sunday. So, after I poured off the liquid to use as a vegan egg substitute I had a whole can of chickpeas. What to do, what to do?
Hummus, of course!
Truthfully, I do not really like the taste of chickpeas, but once they are all blended up with spices, tahini and other flavors into delicious creamy goodness I will devour it.
How to make creamy hummus
To make this hummus creamy, I borrowed a trick from Cook's Illustrated and added the ingredients in three steps instead of dumping it all in at once.
First the coarser ingredients are chopped up, then the lemon juice and water help thin it down and further puree the chickpeas and garlic, and finally the tahini and olive oil bring it all together into a smooth flavorful dip.
How to serve Spicy Garlic Hummus
Here in America hummus is most often served as a dip for vegetables or chips.
But, there are so many other ways to enjoy it:
- serve it as a side with fresh pita bread and your choice of protein (lamb, beef, etc.)
- make a hummus bowl with fresh vegetables and pita bread
- use it as a sandwich spread
- thin it with some extra oil and lemon juice for a salad dressing
- spread it on top of chicken and roast or grill it
- add it to rice or pasta
What creative ways do you have for enjoying hummus? Add it to the comments below.
More Garlic Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Garlic is an essential ingredient in many cuisines throughout the world. Here are some fabulous ways to enjoy it:
Great Garlic Recipes
- Brown Butter Garlic Knots from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Garlic Butter Sauce (for Seafood and More) from Art of Natural Living
- Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp from Palatable Pastime
- One Pot Creamy Garlic Alfredo from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Spicy Garlic Hummus
- 15 ounce can chickpeas ( drained and rinsed)
- 2-3 large cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- ⅓ cup tahini
- In a blender or food processor pulse chickpeas, garlic and spices until almost fully ground, about 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the lemon juice water combo. Continue blending for 1 minute, pausing to scrape down sides as needed.
- Combine tahini and olive oil in a small bowl. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the tahini mixture and keep blending until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds, scraping the sides as needed.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Hummus Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!