Today is our monthly Fill the Cookie Jar posting day, and I am going slightly off script. Instead of going with Halloween or pumpkin cookies, I made these Cherry Almond Sugar Cookie Bars for Breast Cancer Awareness month.
I won’t list the number of women I know personally that have battled (are battling) Breast Cancer for fear I would inadvertently leave someone out. There are that many. And that doesn’t include those I met while volunteering for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. You can belittle the pink ribbons on anything and everything all you want, but the money it has raised for research, education, screening and survivor assistance has made a significant direct impact on many people’s lives.1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. #breastcancerawarenessClick To Tweet
Truthfully, I did use the sugar cookie recipe below to make Halloween themed rolled sugar cookies. But, my visions of Halloween cuteness failed miserably. Obviously, I was born without a cake or cookie decorating gene. That’s okay sprinkles fix almost anything!
Instead of attempting a pink ribbon or anything else fancy, I spread the dough into a pan and baked them all at once. Topped with some pink icing made with maraschino cherry juice and a splash of pink sprinkles and these are done!
They’d make a nice gift for your favorite breast cancer survivor or for a bake sale to raise money for your favorite breast cancer charity.More than pink Cherry Almond Sugar Cookie Bars for #breastcancerawarenessClick To Tweet
Pink Cherry Almond Sugar Cookies for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Great gift for a breast cancer survivor or charity bake sale.
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1-2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Mix until smooth.
- Spread dough in a thin even layer in a 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake until just beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool
- Combine powdered sugar and cherry juice. Thin to spreading consistency with milk.
- Frost cookies, add sprinkles, cut into bars
Until next time, happy eating!