Make some Cracklin Bread the next time a loved one is having a bad day, just like Calpurnia did on Scout’s first day of school in To Kill a Mockingbird.
Have you heard the news?! A sequel to Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird is on the way this summer! To say I am excited would be an understatement.
So, to celebrate I thought it was high time I tried to make one of the recipes in the book that I have always been interesting in trying. While Miss Maudie’s Lane Cake is definitely on my list of “food I want to try”, I would need a very special occasion to make a bourbon soaked cake.
Aside from making the cracklings, this recipe whips up quickly and easily like any cornbread.
Hope I did Calpurnia proud.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Homemade Cracklin Bread just like in To Kill a Mockingbird. #cornbread #cracklinbread #southernfood” quote=”Homemade Cracklin Bread just like in To Kill a Mockingbird. ” theme=”style2″]
Bacon and Cracklin’ Bread
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cracklings or bacon or combination of both
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a cast iron skilled, melt bacon grease over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl add 2 cups cornmeal. Remove 2 tablespoons.
- Add baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour in buttermilk.
- Add eggs. Quickly whip eggs in the center of the well to break eggs then mix to combine all ingredients. Mixture should be about the consistency of pancake batter. Add extra buttermilk if needed.
- Add cracklings/bacon and stir.
- Add melted bacon grease and stir.
- Pour mixture into cast iron skillet. Bake at 450 until starting to turn brown, 20-25 minutes.
And now its PARTY TIME!!!
Jennifer from Simple Hacks Living and Audrey from That Recipe will be the co-hosts for this party for February! They will help Tammy from Creative K Kids in pinning and commenting on your posts.
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted. Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party!
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.