Fast and healthy and loaded with summer flavors, this simple bruschetta chicken is a delightful weeknight meal.
This recipe is basically a Caprese salad served on top of pan grilled chicken breasts then drizzled with a sweet and sour glaze. Serve it with pasta, polenta or garlic bread. Or go low carb and pile it on some arugula or other greens.
Do you have to use chicken breasts?
Nope. You could use chicken tenders (the thin muscle under the chicken breast), chicken thighs or even pork chops or tofu. You want about a pound total whatever size and shape you use.
For best results, try to keep your protein at an even half inch thickness for fast even cooking. To pound chicken, I slip it into a plastic bag and pound it with my rolling pin. This keeps the juices from getting all over the kitchen requiring more clean up.
More Weeknight Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Get More Super Simple Weeknight Recipes:
- Bruschetta Chicken by That Recipe
- Cheesy Pasta with Shredded Kohlrabi by Art of Natural Living
- Easy One Pot Mexican Beans and Rice by Magical Ingredients
- Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Ham and Cheddar Carbonara by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey BBQ Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin by Family Around the Table
- Pepper Steak by Palatable Pastime
- Sheet Pan Bacon Wrapped Mustard Chicken with Broccoli and Potatoes by The Spiffy Cookie
- Slow Cooker Hot Beef Sandwiches by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (butterflied and pounded to about ½ inch thin)
- 1 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- ½ small red onion (finely diced)
- 8 ounce fresh Mozzarella (sliced in large chunks)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves (thinly sliced)
- Season the butterflied chicken breasts with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook through, about 3-4 minutes a side.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the mixture thickens and is reduced by half, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato quarters, red onion, fresh Mozzarella, and basil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- When chicken is done, remove from heat. Top each chicken breast with the tomato and mozzarella mixture and cover for a few minutes to allow the tomatoes to be warmed through.
- To serve, transfer to plates and drizzle glaze over the top.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Weeknight Dinner Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!