Spice up your meals with this refreshing Melon and Pineapple Fruit Salad.
This recipe is my version of the wonderful fruit salad that used to be served at the Cafe Bahia in San Diego, California. It was served at the breakfast buffet as well as on Mexican and Barbecue nights.
While I am not normally a fan of precut fruit, in this instance it can make your life easier, unless you are planning to make enough to feed a crowd and want to buy a mini-watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew and pineapple. I usually buy a pre-cut tray and cut it up into smaller pieces.
And if you want to cut it even smaller, and toss in a chopped jalapeno, it makes a great salsa.
- 1 cup watermelon cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup honeydew melon cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup cantelope cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh pineapple cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- Combine all ingredients plus any juices leftover from cutting the fruit in a bowl and refrigerate at least one hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Fruit Salad ingredients
- To make this into a salsa, chop the fruit much smaller, 1/8 - 1/4 inch pieces.
- Bahia Fruit Salsa - melon and pineapple salsa - thatrecipe.com