Homemade Mincemeat is a delicious sweet combination of pears, dried cranberries, and warm spices that is delicious in baked goods or as a condiment for any meal. So easy to make, and if you have an abundance of pears it makes great gifts.
Truth time, I am not a big pear fan.
They are okay, but when we get them from our local CSA they can get pushed to the back of the produce bin and I end up with too many for us to eat before they go bad. If you have a pear tree, you probably have the same problem.
This easy homemade mincemeat recipe is a great solution. And you can make a big batch and can it up for gifts at holiday time.
If you don't have pears or dried cranberries you can use apples and any dried fruit like raisins or dates.
Is there meat in mincemeat?
Mince is derived from the French word meaning to finely chop. And mincemeat does resemble minced meat, aka ground beef here in the US.
In the past there was shredded meat added along with the dried fruit, citrus, spirits (rum, brandy, etc.) and warm spices. Most recipes now do not use meat, though some use suet (beef fat) or butter.
This mincemeat recipe is both vegan and alcohol free. If you are not planning on canning it, you can even use a non-sugar sweetener.
If you have never canned before you might want to read the water bath canning instructions from Ball/Kerr. Or you can make a small batch and keep it in the fridge or freeze it.
What do you do with mincemeat?
Mincemeat is classically used in pies. especially for Thanksgiving. But, it can be used in a variety of other baked goods like cookies, cakes, muffins, tarts and more.
Add it on top of roasted pork or chicken. Serve it along with your cheese or charcuterie tray. Use it to top yogurt or ice cream. Eat it straight from the jar...
More Pear Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Pears are one of winters' delicious bounties. Here are some fresh ideas for serving them.
- Caramelized Onion and Pear Tart from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Crustless Ginger Blueberry-Pear Pie from The Spiffy Cookie
- Dutch Pear Pie from House of Nash Eats
- Pear and Cranberry Mincemeat from That Recipe
- Pear Gingerbread Upside Down Cake from Art of Natural Living
- Pear Pie Bars from Hezzi-D"s Books and Cooks
- Pear, Persimmon, Pomegranate Salad With Maple Ginger Dressing from Magical Ingredients
- Smoked Sausage with Sauerkraut and Pear from Palatable Pastime
Pear Cranberry Mincemeat
- 7 pounds pears
- 1 lemon
- 2 pounds dried cranberries
- 6 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 cup vinegar
- Core pears and coarsely chop. Cut lemon in quarters, remove any seeds and finely chop.
- Add all ingredients into a large pot, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While mixture is boiling sterilize 9 pint jars. Fill jars with cooked mincemeat to ½ inch line, remove air bubbles and adjust 2 piece cap. Process 25 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Pear Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!