These Sun Dried Tomato Bagels, like all bagels, are surprisingly simple to make at home. Which is quite convenient when your favorite bagel shop that makes them is miles away.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission at no cost to you for purchases through these links.
Bagels are usually made with diastatic or non-diastatic malt powder, which you can order online. Or you can just grab some malted milk powder at your local store and have plenty left to make some old fashioned Chocolate Malts.
Other bagel recipes you may enjoy:
Make your own Sun Dried Tomato Bagels at home. Easy to make and loads of fun.
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup instant malted milk powder
- 5 1/2 – 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons instant malted milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Add yeast and sugar to the warm water and let proof for 5 minutes. It should begin to foam on top, if it doesn’t your yeast may be bad.
Add instant malted milk powder
In a large bowl whisk together 5 1/2 cups of flour, Italian herbs and salt. Add in the liquid and mix until combined. Add extra flour if dough is too soft to knead.
Knead dough with a bread hook attachment in a mixer or by hand. until smooth (5-10 minutes). Fold in sun dried tomatoes by hand until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Put dough in a greased bowl. Cover with a piece of lightly greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm draft free place until doubled, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (I like to put mine in an unheated oven with the light on).
- When dough is doubled in size, place on a clean counter and punch it down.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a stock pot (or other pan that is at least 3″ high) combine the water bath ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Divide dough into 16 balls. Poke a hole through the dough with your index finger and twirl a few times to make a ring.
- Boil the bagels 3-4 at a time for 30 seconds, then flip and boil another 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and put on baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.