I have a treat for you today. Buttery, flaky scones studded with sun dried tomatoes and fresh herbs. These Tomato and Herb Scones are amazing!
Scones are ridiculously easy to make. Basically, they are just biscuits with more cream and butter. Normally I make sweet ones like these:
But these savory ones were great for breakfast, snack and even along with dinner one night.
I used fresh chives from my garden because the basil is about an inch high right now and I wasn’t in the mood for rosemary. All three would be great individually or all together or any fresh herbs you’d like.
Sun Dried Tomato and Herb Scones are a buttery and flaky savory scone studded with sun dried tomatoes and fresh herbs.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs basil, chives, oregano, rosemary, etc (finely chopped)
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter and mix until crumbly. Mix in tomatoes and herbs.
- Add the cream and stir until just combined.
- On a floured board press dough into a rectangle shape about 1/3″ thick. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut into 8 rectangles, then cut those rectangles in half to form 16 triangles.
- Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until just turning golden brown.
Until next time, happy eating!