Let the slow cooker do the work while you go about your day and come home to a hearty bowl of mild White Chicken Chili.
My husband and I are big fans of chili. With beans for eating and without for topping hot dogs, burgers or fries. Our son snubs it every time. He doesn't like ground beef or tomatoes.
Enter White Chicken Chili. No tomatoes, no ground beef, and relatively mild taste. I even leave it a little soupy so he can think it is chicken and bean soup. I do what I need to do.
Ingredients for White Chicken Chili
There really isn't much to say about the ingredients, they are all basic ingredients you probably already have on hand. But here are a few ideas for substitutes:
beans - any bean will do, but white beans (white, navy or Great Northern) are more traditional.
chicken - use thighs if your family prefers the taste.
Mexican oregano - yes, they are different plants. Italian oregano is more minty and Mexican is more citrusy. But you can definitely use Italian if that's what you have.
Mexican blend cheese - use cheddar or Monterey Jack or a combination of both as a substitute.
mild chilis - I keep it mild because my crew doesn't like overly spicy foods. If you do, swap out a chopped fresh jalapeno (or other pepper) in the chili itself.
More Slow Cooker Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Who doesn't need more slow cooker recipes this time of year? Here are some delicious ideas from my favorite bloggers.
Seriously Good Slow Cooker Recipes
- Chilindro - Slow Cooker Spanish Red Pepper Stew from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken from Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli Sauce from The Spiffy Cookie
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Soup from Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Stroganoff from Books n' Cooks
- Slow Cooker Mahogany Chicken Legs from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Vegan Whole Moong Masala from Magical Ingredients
- >White Chicken Chili from That Recipe
White Chicken Chili
- 3 cans 15 ounce size Great Northern beans (divided)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- ½ small red onion (diced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 can 4 ounce size mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1½ cup Mexican blend cheese (finely shredded, divided)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 small avocado (diced)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper (sliced)
- 2 large limes (cut into wedges)
- Drain and rinse the beans. Place half the beans in a blender or food processor with ⅓ cup water and process until blended, but still slightly chunky. Transfer the puréed beans to a 5 or 6-quart slower cooker. Add the remaining whole beans.
- Add chicken, red onion, garlic, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, coriander, chipotle pepper powder, and chicken broth to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and set cook time to 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When cook time is complete, remove lid and add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir to combine. Cover and allow cheese to melt for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Serve immediately with remaining cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado, jalapeño slices, and/or lime wedges.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Chili Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!