Simple Black Beans and Rice side dish cooks up in about 10 minutes and is a great way to reinvent leftover rice.
I am a big fan of "cook once eat twice", so I always make a double (or triple) batch of rice one night and use the leftovers for Fried Rice, a hot breakfast cereal or a simple side dish like this.
Another great thing about this recipe is the number of variations. Get creative and throw in what's in the fridge or pantry. A few ideas:
- Mexican - add some frozen or canned corn and jalapenos along with oregano and chili powder.
- Cajun - swap some chopped bell peppers for the celery and add a little Cajun spice.
- Italian - add diced tomatoes, basil, oregano and parsley.
You could even throw in leftover protein and make it a one dish meal.
Don't you just love the possibilities?
Here are more easy recipes to make with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Recipes with Pantry Staples
- Black Beans and Rice by That Recipe
- Cheesy Southwestern Chicken Casserole by Making Miracles
- Easy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Macaroni Tuna Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pantry Burrito Bowls by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Pecan Chicken by Family Around The Table
- Sourdough English Muffins by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Black Beans and Rice
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion (diced)
- ½ cup celery (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup black beans (or one 15 ounce can, drained)
- 1 ½ cup white rice (cooked)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat 2 quart sauce pan to medium hot. Add oil and heat until it sizzles. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Turn heat to low. Stir in rice and beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mexican – add some frozen or canned corn and jalapenos along with oregano and chili powder.
- Cajun – swap some chopped bell peppers for the celery and add a little Cajun spice.
- Italian – add diced tomatoes, basil, oregano and parsley.
Until next time, happy eating.
Heather @ My Overflowing Cup
I love how versatile rice & beans are - not to mention how frugal & delicious. Thanks for the recipe!
Love how quick and easy this recipe is!
Beans and rice is one of my favorite meals. Love your Mexican and Italian versions of this recipe.
This recipe comes together so quickly! Perfect for those busy nights.
I'm always looking for quick and easy sides. AND for ways to just up leftover rice. This is a win win for me.
Added stock to help the rice along. Went beautifully. Thanks
Sounds like a solid idea.