Simple Black Beans and Rice side dish cooks up in about 10 minutes and is a great way to reinvent leftover rice.
I am a big fan of "cook once eat twice", so I always make a double (or triple) batch of rice one night and use the leftovers for Fried Rice, a hot breakfast cereal or a simple side dish like this.
Another great thing about this recipe is the number of variations. Get creative and throw in what's in the fridge or pantry. A few ideas:
- Mexican - add some frozen or canned corn and jalapenos along with oregano and chili powder.
- Cajun - swap some chopped bell peppers for the celery and add a little Cajun spice.
- Italian - add diced tomatoes, basil, oregano and parsley.
You could even throw in leftover protein and make it a one dish meal.
Don't you just love the possibilities?
Here are more easy recipes to make with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Recipes with Pantry Staples
- Black Beans and Rice by That Recipe
- Cheesy Southwestern Chicken Casserole by Making Miracles
- Easy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Macaroni Tuna Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pantry Burrito Bowls by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Pecan Chicken by Family Around The Table
- Sourdough English Muffins by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion (diced)
- ½ cup celery (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup black beans (or one 15 ounce can, drained)
- 1 ½ cup white rice (cooked)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat 2 quart sauce pan to medium hot. Add oil and heat until it sizzles. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Turn heat to low. Stir in rice and beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mexican – add some frozen or canned corn and jalapenos along with oregano and chili powder.
- Cajun – swap some chopped bell peppers for the celery and add a little Cajun spice.
- Italian – add diced tomatoes, basil, oregano and parsley.
Until next time, happy eating.