Wake up that boring chicken with some flavorful fresh herbs and citrus then grill it up for a fast and healthy meal.
This citrus herb marinated grilled chicken is the perfect way to switch up your summer grilling game! This recipe is not only incredibly simple and bursting with flavor, but it's also incredibly healthy.
Lemon (or lime), garlic, rosemary and oregano are just a few of the basic ingredients that can turn a basic grilled chicken breast into an unforgettable summer meal.
Not only that, but each serving of this marinade dish is packed with protein and nutrients that everyone can benefit from.
Get ready to fire up the grill this summer with this citrus herb marinated grilled chicken recipe.
Ways to use fresh herbs
My oregano and rosemary plants are both out of control right now and I want to use as much as I can before I just have to fill the composter with the prunings.
Besides using in marinades like this recipe, other ways I plan to use them:
- dehydrate for use in spice and herb mixes (info in this post)
- make chimichurri (South American green sauce)
- shish kebabs on rosemary skewers (pull of the leaves and use in the marinade then stick the meat on the hard sticks)
- infused oil or vinegar
- sugar scrubs (like this lavender rosemary scrub)
Tips for Perfect Grilled Chicken
The key to grilling boneless chicken perfectly is to pound it to an even thickness with a kitchen mallet or rolling pin. Thighs are usually fairly even, but chicken breasts are thicker in the middle.
A few quick whacks and you not only release some aggression, the chicken will be done in the middle and still juicy on the ends after grilling.
To keep chicken from sticking to the grill: be sure to oil your grates, keep your temperature about 425 degrees, and do not turn for 4-5 minutes.
If it sticks, cover the grill and let it cook another minute and it should release.
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (about 2 pounds total weight)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon lime or lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano (rinsed and crushed with fingers to release oils)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (rinsed and crushed with fingers to release oils)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- With a kitchen mallet, or rolling pin, pound chicken to an even thickness.
- Add the marinade ingredients to a 1-gallon zip to lock freezer bag, seal and shake to mix. Add chicken, reseal and turn to coat chicken thoroughly.
- Place the bag in a bowl and set in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Turn the bag a few times to ensure even marinating.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and discard marinade. Grill breasts over medium direct heat, turning once, for 10 – 15 minutes total. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
Serving Suggestions for Grilled Chicken
Until next time, happy eating!