Why do I call this the best Tamale Pie Recipe? Because it is. I have tried a few others and they have some weird spices or strange texture to them. Besides, this is the one I grew up on.
My guys don't like olives, so I usually leave them out. In fact, I had to dig to find an old photo just so I could post this for a friend of my brother.
[clickToTweet tweet="Tamale Pie lets you enjoy the flavor of tamales with less work. #recipes #mexican" quote="Tamale Pie lets you enjoy the flavor of tamales with less work." theme="style1"]
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion ((chopped))
- 1 clove garlic ((crushed))
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup sliced pitted ripe olives ((plus more for garnish))
- ¾ cup yellow corn meal
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs ((well beaten))
- 1 tablespoon butter ((melted))
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease pie plate or shallow casserole dish or spray with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in skillet until well browned, breaking up with a fork as it cooks. Pour off all the fat. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, chili powder and olives; simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- While the meat is simmering, add corn meal slowly to boiling water while stirring vigorously. Cook, stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until very thick. Add cooked corn meal to beaten eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Spread ⅜-inch thick layer of corn meal in prepared pie plate or casserole dish. Spread sausage mixture evenly over top. Spoon remaining corn meal mixture over sausage. Brush top with melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes or until browned. Garnish with olives. Serve hot.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
We have a new host joining us on Tasty Tuesdays. Please help me welcome Merry From Merry About Town where she shares recipes as well as posts on travel and homeschooling. Stop by her site and follow her on social media too.
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.