I received compensation from Sweets and Treats for this post. The recipe and opinions are my own.
Chocolate Bonbon Cookies are an easy cookie with a simple decoration that can be adapted to any holiday or occasion. Change up the extract and decorations, add nuts or don’t, leave them plain or decorate. So many options.
This post is part of Christmas Cookies Week 2020. Be sure to keep scrolling to see all of today’s fabulous recipes and to enter the giveaway thanks to our amazing sponsors: Adams Extract, Anolon Cookware, Millican Pecan Company, Sweets and Treats.
One Cookie Plenty of Variations
The recipe below uses chopped nuts in the cookie and almond extract in the cookie and the icing. But there are plenty of ways you can change up the recipe:
- Nuts or no nuts. Use chopped nuts or wrap the dough around a pecan or walnut half or maybe a whole macadamia.
- Change up the extract, use all vanilla or maybe a splash of peppermint or rum extract.
- Increase the amount of espresso powder to 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons for a more mocha flavored cookie.
- Use melted chocolate instead of the icing. Dark, semi sweet, milk, white or a combination drizzled on top would be lovely.
- Vary the sprinkles for the season. I used Sweets & Treats Reindeer Food Sprinkles for the photos, but these could be made for any holiday.
Homemade Cookie Mix
Have you ever noticed that many cookies use the same basic ingredients?
This recipe is one of four I am sharing this week that use my Homemade Cookie Mix. Each cookie recipe starts with the same basic mix but ends up completely different looking and tasting.
Make a batch of the cookie mix and keep it in the fridge or freezer so you can quickly whip up a batch of cookies when the urge strikes. Or make a double or triple batch to make Christmas cookie baking a little easier.
Chocolate Bonbon Cookies
- 4 cups Basic Cookie Mix recipe below
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- scant ¼ teaspoon instant espresso powder optional – see note below
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk approximate
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- sprinkles, colored sugar, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl combine Cookie Mix, nuts, chocolate, butter, chocolate, eggs and extracts to form a soft dough.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F until cookies are set, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly before moving to a wire cooling rack.
- While cookies are cooling combine powdered sugar, almond extract and enough milk to make icing to your desired consistency.
- When cookies are cool, spread icing on top and decorate with sprinkles. Store in airtight container once icing is set.
Basic Cookie Mix
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ cups shortening or chilled coconut oil (butter flavor coconut oil is amazing!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening or coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Store mixture in zip-to-lock or other air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 10 weeks.
- To use: Scoop out with a dry measuring cup and level with a knife or spatula.
Get More Christmas Cookie Recipes
Get even more Christmas Cookie recipes in our eBook Bake the Season Bright available on Kindle.
FREE for the week of November 9-13, 2020 ONLY.
Christmas Cookie Week Recipes & Giveaway
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Here are some of the cookies our blogging friends are sharing today:
Friday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Bonbon Cookies by That Recipe
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies by West Via Midwest
- Chocolate Espresso Icebox Cookies by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Chocolate-Dipped Orange Logs by Eat Move Make
- Christmas Magic Bars by Devour Dinner
- Christmas Monster Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies by Blogghetti
- Frosted Eggnog Cookie Bars by Family Around the Table
- Grinch Heart Thumbprint Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Holiday Everything Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Honey Walnut Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Kahlua Mudslide Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Lavender Snickerdoodles by Palatable Pastime
- Linzer Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Little Monster Cookie Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Maple Sugar Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mocha Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Making Miracles
- Mocha Sandies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Bark Surprise Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Pinwheel Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Poppy Seed Shortbread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sadie’s Double Pecan Butter Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Small Batch Pecan Fingers by Art of Natural Living
- Soft & Chewy Molasses Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Spiced Holiday Cutouts by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Toasted Pecan Snowball Cookie Recipe by Swirls of Flavor
- White Chocolate Dipped Ginger Molasses Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen.
The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.a Rafflecopter giveaway