These soft granola bars are filled with nuts, coconut and chocolate in every bite. Better than store bought bars because you control the ingredients.
Sometimes I like a nice crunchy granola bar, and sometimes I want a soft and chew one. The basic difference is you lightly toast the ingredients before adding the syrup for chewy, but for a crispy bar you combine the ingredients first and then bake.
It is so much fun to mix and match with ingredients I have in the pantry. And since I had some leftover mini chocolate chips I went for the chewy version. They don't work as well in the crunchy.
Other Granola Bar Flavor Suggestions
These were more or less, an Almond Joy granola bar, but if that isn't your thing try some of the following:
- nuts and seeds: almonds, pecans, pistachios, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia, sesame or flaxseed
- nut or seed butters: mix some peanut butter ( or almond, sunflower, or pecan butter) with the coconut oil before melting
- dried fruit, raisins, cranberries, cherries, dates, mangoes, apricots, etc.
- spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, pumpkin spice, etc.
- extras: coconut, mini marshmallows, crushed cookies or graham crackers, crisped rice or other cereal.
Instead of sprinkling the chocolate chips on top you can melt chocolate and dip the bars in that after cutting.
More Whole Grains RecipesSeptember is National Rice and National Whole Grains Month. The fourth week of September is National Wild Rice Week. Whole grains are nutritious and are great to make delicious food right from appetizers, salads, breads, and main courses to desserts. In our #FestiveFoodies, we are celebrating the grains this month by sharing our favorite recipes showcasing any grains and Radha of Magical Ingredients is hosting this event. We are sharing 30 different recipes using whole grains and join us in the celebration.Wednesday Wholegrain Recipes
- Sorghum and Spinach Roti by Magical Ingredients
- Couscous with Summer Squash, Mint and Pistachios by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Chip Coconut Chewy Granola Bars by ThatRecipe
- Pork Burrito Bowl by Jen Around the World
- One Pan Honey Sriracha Ground Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Bowls by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Pesto Rice by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Whole Wheat Banana Bread by Making Miracles
Chocolate Chip Coconut Chewy Granola Bars
- 2½ cups old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup almonds (slivered or chopped)
- ⅓ cup honey (or agave or maple syrup)
- ¼ cup butter flavored coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil and grease lightly
- Combine oats and almonds then spread in a thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Stir and bake another 3-5 minutes until both are toasty and light brown.
- In a small pan on the stove or in a microwave safe dish, melt butter. honey and brown sugar. Add vanilla extract and stir to cool slightly.
- Combine oat mixture, coconut oil mixture and shredded coconut in a medium bowl. Spread and press into the prepared 8 inch pan. Sprinkle the mini chips over the top and press them in slightly. Let cool completely.
- When cool, cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Best if eaten with a few days.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Bar Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!