Chocolate Red Wine Cake is a delicious loaf cake loaded with red wine and chocolate! Double or triple the batch for delightful homemade gifts for family and friends.
Every year, my mother-in-law makes several loaves of her amazingly moist and flavorful fruitcake and these Chocolate Red Wine Cakes and gives them to friends and neighbors for Christmas gifts.
She wraps them in heavy duty foil and pops them in the freezer so she always has last minute gifts on hand.
The combination of red wine and chocolate is INCREDIBLE! (red wine hot cocoa anyone?) Add in some nice nuts and raisins that have been soaked in the red wine so they are plump and extra juicy and you have a delicious treat.
You can make three large loaves, or if you have smaller mini loaf pans you can make 6-8 of those depending on the size.
More Food Gifts Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
- Bourbon Pecan Persimmon Bread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Crunch Popcorn by Making Miracles
- Chocolate Red Wine Cake by That Recipe
- Dal Soup in a Jar by Magical Ingredients
- Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Pecans by Blogghetti
- Hot Chocolate Bombs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Pretzel Rods by Art of Natural Living
- Original Chex Mix by Family Around the Table
- Pancake Mix by Books n’ Cooks
- Simple Fudge by Our Good Life
Chocolate Red Wine Cake
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 ½ cups red wine divided use
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 3 loaf pans (8 ½ inch x 4 ½ inch x 2 ½ inch size).
- Put raisins in a small sauce pan and add ½ cup red wine. Bring to a boil and stir to coat raisins. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar and beat until blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating in thoroughly before adding the next.
- Sift flour before measuring. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and spices.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with the remaining wine, about half at a time. Mix in raisins and chopped nuts.
- Divide batter equally between the loaf pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Optional gift giving: Let cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap and again in aluminum foil. Freeze until ready to gift.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Chocolate Food Gifts:
Until next time, happy eating!