If you need a quick last minute gift this winter, grab a mason jar and fill it with this easy and delicious Hot Cocoa Mix, add a note with the instructions and you are done!
I like to keep a few jars of this Hot Cocoa Mix on hand for those "oops I forgot" occasions like neighbors, teachers, that person that got you something and you don't have one for them... or am I the only spacey one here.
The recipe below makes about 10 cups, enough for 5 pint sized mason jars. Plenty for gift giving.
Cut it in half or one quarter for home use. Unless you want a lot of hot cocoa on hand. Mmmmmm. My guys wouldn't object.
Hot Cocoa Mix Variations
I have three variations below, but don't limit yourself to just those.
Peppermint - crush up peppermint candies and add to the mix.
Mocha - add instant coffee or espresso powder (this was a hit for teacher gifts)
Sugar and/or Dairy Free - use stevia or sucralose instead of the sugar and non-dairy creamer for the milk (make sure it is sugar free creamer if you need both non-dairy and sugar free, which I do for one friend)
To make it extra creamy, swap in some or all non-dairy creamer for the milk. You can also go for flavored creamer like vanilla or caramel.
Printable Tags for Hot Cocoa Mix in Jars
Here are some printable gift tags to attach to the jars
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered milk (or use some or all non-dairy powdered creamer)
- In a large bowl, sift in each of the ingredients to remove any lumps. Stir in the powdered milk, and whisk well until combined.
- Scoop into jars, or other container and store up to 6 months.
- To make cocoa, add ½ cup mix to ½ cup boiling water.