Black Forest Coffee combines the flavors of the decadent Black Forest Cake with hot coffee for a comforting cold weather treat.
Black Forest Cake mostly originated in the Black Forest region of Germany known for its sour cherries. When chocolate was introduced to Europe, the two merged together for this iconic dessert.
This coffee drink merges those wonderful flavors with hot coffee. Add on a healthy (or not so healthy) dab of whipped cream plus a cherry and more chocolate syrup on top.
The result is a rich and creamy dessert like drink.
Ingredients for Black Forest Coffee
The ingredients are just what you would expect and you can add more or less of any of them for your perfect drink. One of the nice benefits of making your own coffee drinks at home.
Hot Coffee - brew it any way you prefer, regular or decaf.
Chocolate sauce - simple classic chocolate sauce you would use for making chocolate milk or drizzling on ice cream.
Maraschino cherry with juice - if you want a more adult version of the drink, add kirshwasser or maybe some homemade cherry liqueur instead of the juice from the cherry jar.
Whipped cream - homemade or from the can (don't tell my brother I don't always make my own)
Sugar - or other sweetener if you want. The cherry juice and chocolate sauce already add plenty.
Variation: Black Forest Iced Blended Coffee
Instead of making it hot, you can use cold coffee (or cold brewed coffee) and mix it in a blender with chocolate sauce, cherry juice sweetener, and a handful of ice cubes.
Top the same way as the hot drink.
More Hot Drink Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
When it is cold outside, sipping on a nice piping hot beverage is a sure fire way to warm up from the inside out. Here are some great ideas to try:
Drinks to Warm You Up
- Black Sesame Latte from Magical Ingredients
- Caramel Hot Chocolate from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Russian Tea (aka Friendship Tea) from Art of Natural Living
- Shaken Brown Sugar Latte from Jen Around the World
- Warm Golden Ginger Drink from Palatable Pastime
Black Forest Coffee
- 1 ½ cups hot coffee
- ¼ cup chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar (more or less to taste)
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherry
- chocolate syrup
- Combine first four ingredients into a mug. Stir well to mix.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream with a cherry on top, and drizzle with chocolate syrup to garnish if desired.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Coffee Drink Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!