Cool off this summer with some sweet and tangy Grown Up Watermelon Slushies.
Frozen drinks are one of the best parts of summer. And this colorful watermelon slushie is sure to become one of your favorites - with or without the shot of vodka.
Chop up some fresh watermelon (removing the seeds if necessary) and pop it in the freezer for at least 4 hours before making these.
When you are ready to enjoy, pop the watermelon in a blender with lime juice and a secret ingredient to add some bright color and extra tang.
The Secret Ingredient: Hibiscus Tea
Hibiscus tea adds a deep cranberry hue to the drink naturally along with a nice floral tartness.
You can get hibiscus flowers (often labeled Jamaica) at well stocked grocery stores with the other Mexican spices. Steep about ¼ cup flowers in 1 quart boiling water about 5 minutes. Remove flowers and chill for this recipe (or enjoy hot)
More Barbecue Party Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Summer is the time for outdoor parties and we have a delightful collection of recipes that are perfect for your next picnic, barbecue or pool party.
Fourth of July Barbecue Party
- Blueberry Strawberry Cheesecake Parfait from Art of Natural Living
- Bobby Flay's Cole Slaw from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Creamy Cucumber Salad from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Firework Oreo Cheesecake Bites from The Spiffy Cookie
- Grown Up Watermelon Slushies from That Recipe
- Hawaiian Plantation Iced Tea from Palatable Pastime
- Pearl Couscous Salad from Magical Ingredients
- Tuna Noodle Casserole Pasta Salad from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- 6 cups watermelon, seedless or seeds removed (cut into small chunks and frozen)
- 2 cups chilled brewed hibiscus tea (see note)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 6-8 large ice cubes (optional)
- 4-6 ounces premium vodka (optional)
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Small watermelon wedges
- In a blender, combine frozen watermelon, chilled tea, lime juice, honey, and mint until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add ice cubes, if desired, to achieve slushie consistency.
- Pour watermelon mixture into four chilled glasses and top each with a 1 to 1½ ounces of vodka, if desired. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and/or watermelon wedges. Serve immediately
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Summer Drink Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!