Curried Cold Rice Salad can be a delicious side dish, or add chicken or shrimp for a heartier meal. Great for pot lucks, barbeques and cookouts.
20 years ago, my parents hosted a family reunion. Everyone had a blast getting to know each other. Some cousins hadn’t seen each other in decades, and to watch them scamper after each other you’d have thought they were 7 instead of in their 70’s.
To make it easier on themselves, and because we have a bunch of foodies in the clan, it was a pot luck. If you ever need to host one, or are invited to attend one, you might want to review Ma’am’s suggestions.
The following recipe came from that event. It was brought by Norm and Pat LaLanne. Hang on, let me do some calculating here. I think Norm is my first cousin twice removed. He was my grandmother’s first cousin. Oh, it doesn’t really matter. They brought this awesome Cold Rice Salad to the party and it was a perfect go with for a barbecue/picnic. Something a little different than potato or macaroni salad.
If you want to serve this as a main course, add 1 pound of cooked shrimp or chopped chicken.
Best Rice Recipes for Dinner
For more Rice recipes, check out these fabulous dishes from some of my favorite bloggers.
- A Slightly Unconventional Arroz de Pato by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chicken Enchilada Rice Bake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cold Rice Salad by That Recipe
- Peruvian Arroz con Pollo by Pandemonium Noshery
- Shaking Beef with Vietnamese Red Rice by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Skillet Rice and Beans with Kielbasa by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Wild Rice and Flax Seed Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Curried Cold Rice Salad
- 4 Small jars of marinated artichokes coarsely chopped and marinade reserved
- 2 cups long grain white rice uncooked
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable broth include the artichoke marinade above to equal total 4 1/4 cup liquid
- 5 green onions chopped
- 1/2 jar green olives stuffed with pimentos sliced (7 ounce jar)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- chopped parsley
- Cook rice in vegetable broth and reserved artichoke marinade until tender.
- Cool. Mix mayonnaise and curry powder. Mix all ingredients together and garnish with parsley.
Until next time, happy eating!