Rich and flaky Cream Cheese Danish recipe made simple with frozen puff pastry dough. Perfect for a holiday breakfast, brunch or any time you need a sweet treat.
This recipe was one of my mother’s. She used packaged crescent rolls, but I made them fancier by using puff pastry dough. Nothing but the best for my family, haha!
The key to using puff pastry dough is to defrost it in the fridge so you can unroll the sheets easily. But it still needs to be very cold to keep the butter in between the layers of the puff pastry – that’s what helps it puff.
If you want to be really adventurous you can make your own instead of buying it frozen by following my basic Croissant recipe. Just know that it takes at least half a day of rolling and chilling. But you can freeze it at just about any step and then defrost in the fridge and proceed.
Puff Pastry Recicpes
This week the #OurFamilyTable bloggers are sharing our favorite puff pastry recipes.
- Easy Cheese Danish by That Recipe
- Pear Prosciutto Palmiers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Puff Pastry Cheesy Garlic Bread by Making Miracles
- Puff Pastry Pizza Pinwheels by Sweet Beginnings
- Puff Pastry Samosa Pinwheels by Magical Ingredients
- Puff Pastry Tomato and Goat Cheese Pizzettes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- 1 16-18 ounce package frozen puff pastry (defrosted, but still cold)
- flour for rolling (optional)
- 1 large egg (separated)
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Unroll one sheet of puff pastry roll out gently to fill the baking pan. It will spread so it doesn't need to be exactly to the edge. Place sheet in the baking pan.
- Beat egg yolk. Add cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice and mix until thoroughly blended. Spread evenly over the puff pastry to within a ¼ inch of the edge.
- Roll out the remaining puff pastry sheet gently to fit over the top of the cream cheese mixture. Place gently on top.
- Whisk egg white and brush over the puff pastry. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Back until pastry is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Slice and serve.
Sound fabulous? Share with others who would love it:
More Special Breakfast Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!