Kiss those boring salads goodbye with this delicious spicy sweet Ginger Salad Dressing inspired by the dressing served at Benihana Restaurants.
I can’t testify if this tastes the same as the dressing in the restaurants as I haven’t been to a Benihana in decades. But I can tell you it is sweet and tangy and spicy and easy to make.
The only tip I am going to give you is to wait at least one hour before adjusting the flavors. When it was fresh, I thought it was a bit bland and was tempted to add more garlic and ginger. A few hours later I realized that would have been a mistake!
Ginger Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or any mild tasting oil)
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 tablespoons celery (minced)
- 2 tablespoons low or no sugar added ketchup
- 4 teaspoons tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar or equivalent amount of sweetener (stevia, xylitol, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (minced, about 1 clove)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients except salt and pepper in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.