Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches make a simple and satisfying meal that grills up quickly for a delicious meal on hot summer nights.
You can make these sandwiches two ways:
- effortless – buy premade Italian sausages
- easy, but a bit more time – make the sausages yourself.
I went all out and made my own sausages with plenty of aromatics and spices like garlic, fennel and red pepper flakes. If you want to go that route, you can find all of the details in this post.
Then I froze the sausages individually and put them in a zip to lock bag so I can pull them out and grill them up and enjoy these sandwiches any time I want.
BBQ Week Recipes
I’ve joined with some of my favorite bloggers for Barbecue week: a week of sharing barbecue, grilling, and cookout recipes for you to enjoy year round. Check here for Monday’s recipes.
Tuesday #BBQWeek Recipes
- Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches by That Recipe
- Smoked Pork Butt Recipe by SueBee Homemaker
Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (sliced in long strips)
- 2 large red or yellow bell peppers (sliced in long thin strips)
- 4 Hoagie style rolls
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1 jar pepperoncini slices (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes until turning translucent. Add peppers and continue to cook until onions are golden brown, about 10 more minutes.
- While onions are cooking, preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Grill sausages 2-3 minutes a side then roll ¼ turn until cooked through with grill marks on all sides.
- Slice open hoagie rolls leaving about 1/2 inch attached at the bottom. If desired, gently open the rolls and place open side down on the grill for 1-2 minutes.
- Place sausage in rolls, top with grilled onion and pepper mixture and pepperoncini slices, if desired.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Grilled Sandwiches
Until next time, happy eating!