This simple Salsa Verde is a delicious fresh salsa recipe made with tomatillos instead of tomatoes. Put it on everything from eggs to soup to tacos. Serve it with chips or on top of grilled chicken breasts or steak. It will add a healthy spot of flavor to just about anything.
I like a good tomato salsa like Pico de Gallo, but tomatoes are not the only fruit or vegetable that makes a fabulous salsa.
This recipe uses tomatillos, small tomato-like fruit with a papery husk covering them. While they can be eaten raw, roasting them brings out the sweetness and makes them softer.
This salsa is great with chips as an appetizer, or add some on top of your burritos, tacos, huevos rancheros or other favorite Mexican dishes.
Easy Salsa Verde recipe made with tomatillos, jalapenos and green onions and spices. Delicious addition to any meal.
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon honey
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
Husk tomatillos and cut in half and place in a bowl with whole jalapeno peppers and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet
Bake until vegetables are tender about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
Once cool enough to handle, cut jalapeno peppers in half and remove seeds.
Put the roasted vegetables in a blender or food processor. Add green onion, cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, and oregano. Pulse until ingredients are combined, but the mixture is still a little chunky.
Add a drizzle of honey to sweeten, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.