In this simple Mango Salsa, the flavors of the sweet mangoes onions and peppers combine for a mouthwatering taste sensation.
Why do tomatoes get all of the salsa love? Add some peppers and onions and you can turn all kinds of fruit and vegetables into a delicious condiment. Especially mangoes.
Like most salsas, this is easy to prepare. Just chop, mix and chill. It is best if you make it a bit ahead of time to let the flavors fully develop... if you can wait.
You can serve this as a salsa with chips or tacos, etc. Or try it as a spicy fruit salad.
Yes, I went there. No regrets!
Mangoes versus Bell Peppers
Mangoes are an oblong tropical fruit with a peel that is colored green and a blend of yellow, orange and red on the outside with a sweet orange or yellow flesh on the inside.
I do not mean bell peppers as some folks in the U.S. refer to them. The Cincinnati Enquirer offers some possible theories about how this misnomer first started.
Though this recipe also uses red bell peppers as well, just to confuse the issue. haha!
How to cut a mango
If you are new to mangoes and are wondering how best to cut it, check out these videos from the National Mango Board that demonstrates a few different methods depending on the results you want.
For this recipe go with the dice method.
National Tortilla Chip Day
We are celebrating National Tortilla Chip Day with recipes for and with tortilla chips.
- How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips by Family Around the Table
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Cheese Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Jalapeno Salsa by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Migas | Tex-Mex Scrambled Eggs by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Mango Salsa by That Recipe
- The Best Homemade Queso by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole by Making Miracles
- Tropical Salsa by Magical Ingredients
- Tortilla Crusted Baked Marinated Pork Chops by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- 2 medium mangoes (diced)
- 1 medium red bell peppers (seeds removed, diced)
- ½ red onion (diced)
- ½ jalapeno pepper (minced)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and cayenne (red pepper) (to taste)
- Gently toss all ingredients except salt and cayenne together. Chill, covered in refrigerator for 2 hours or more.
- Add seasonings to taste before serving.
More Salsa Recipes
Until next time, happy eating.