This Panko Crusted Salmon is a quick, healthy and easy dinner that is perfect for busy weeknights.
Wow, the two ingredients for the Crazy Ingredient Challenge stumped me for a bit this month: citrus and bread crumbs.
I’d be shocked I am the only one in the group to make something breaded with an orange sauce, but I have a secret ingredient.
With all of the heavy foods I have been eating and will be eating this holiday season I wanted this recipe to be light and healthy. It only has five ingredients because I wanted the simplicity of the flavors to stand out, particularly the salmon, rosemary and citrus. Looking at the picture above you might think the secret ingredient is bell peppers, but you’d be wrong. It is candied citrus peel fruit cake mix!
Isn’t it gorgeous? Moist and finely chopped. Unlike most store bought mixes that are huge dried out chunks. No wonder many people hate fruit cake. But these were so delicious I could have eaten them straight.
I need to head back to Winco Foods to get more because I already used it all up for this and another recipe coming in a few weeks. FYI, Winco is not a sponsor of the post, but I don’t know if any other store has this in bulk like they do. If all you can get is the bigger pieces just chop them up to about 1/8 inch dice.
Be sure to check out what the other bloggers made with these ingredients.
Panko Crusted Salmon with Orange Sauce
- 1 pound salmon fillets (four 4-ounce fillets)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten free if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup candied citrus peel (1/8 - 1/4 inch dice)
- olive oil or cooking spray
- Combine bread crumbs and rosemary and press approximately 1/4 cup on both sides of each salmon fillet.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with cooking spray or spread a small amount of olive oil on the surface. Bring to a medium high heat. Cook the salmon, approximately 3-5 minutes a side.
- While salmon is cooking, heat the orange juice and citrus peel in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When salmon is cooked, serve immediately with a few tablespoons of sauce on top.
Until next time, happy eating. ~Audrey