Simple Southwestern Chicken Skillet is a flavorful one dish meal perfect for busy weeknights.
I have been on a southwestern kick lately. I just love the combination of spices and healthy ingredients. And when the Our Dinner Table Group opted for simple stir fry I just had to give the basic stir fry a southwestern twist (translation, it was what was in the house).
This is a great last minute dinner to throw together with what you have on hand in the pantry and freezer. You can serve it in tortillas as a burrito or maybe with some Spanish Rice if desired, but it is pretty awesome just like this.
Simply Easy Stir Fry
Be sure to pin these easy stir fry recipes for busy nights as well.
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry from Making Miracles
- Beef Stir Fry with Noodles from Art of Natural Living
- Easy Tex-Mex Beef Stir Fry from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Ginger Pork and Eggplant Stir Fry from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Noodle Stir Fry with Chicken from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork and Ramen Stir Fry from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Shrimp Fried Rice with Vegetables from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Southwestern Chicken Skillet from That Recipe
Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion (diced)
- 2 red bell peppers (diced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, (cut into bite-sized cubes)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 14 ounce can low sodium black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (roughly chopped, divided)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers, season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft and slightly caramelized, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add chicken, oregano, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and chipotle powder. Cook until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in black beans and frozen corn. Cook until everything is warm, about 6-8 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately.