A healthier version of Spanish Rice made with brown rice instead of white rice.
This rice is great as a side dish; or my favorite way, layer it in a tortilla with some cheese and refried beans for a fabulous homemade BRC burrito.
Traditionally Spanish or Mexican Rice is made with white rice, but the brown rice adds some extra whole grain goodness. It takes a little longer to cook, but with the spices and sauce you don't notice the flavor or texture difference.
Other rice recipes you may enjoy:
Healthier Spanish Rice
- 2 extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 cup chicken broth (preferably organic)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can 4 ounce size diced green chilies (undrained)
- 1½ tablespoon low sodium taco seasoning
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir to coat completely in oil. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes, until rice is lightly toasted.
- Add vegetable broth, tomato sauce, diced green chilies, and taco seasoning and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and bring the rice mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and allow rice to rest for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff the rice mixture with a fork.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Lisa from Blogghetti (Blog)**
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Thank you for hosting! This is what was highlighted during the week 9-30 to 10-4 on the blog. On Tuesday morning was a breakfast of Corned Beef Hash Browns and Eggs. Wednesday we enjoyed a Veal Parmigiana. Wrapping up this week of comfort food we enjoyed an Easy Double Cheese Baked Penne. Enjoy!